New Council Announced - Cumberland Council


Fight dust logo


Managing asbestos can be very complicated as there are a number of different laws and rules about who can handle it and how it should be done.  To help community members make sense of it all, Holroyd Council has developed a website called Asbestos Answers to answer some common questions.

The website is set out in a simple, easy to follow format and contains information on asbestos relating to renovations, development approvals and disposal.  It also provides advice on what to do if asbestos has been dumped near you or what to do if you think someone in the neighbourhood is not handling asbestos correctly.



Protecting the community from the adverse health impacts of pollutants, Council investigates and actions environmental breaches. These include water and air pollution, illegal discharges and nuisance odours. Understanding how you can manage your role in reducing pollution within Holroyd will benefit the community. Council runs sessions, holds forums and provides fact sheets for residents as educational tools.

Find out more about Pollution and our management programs or please contact Council on 9840 9828.

Frequently Asked Questions


Stormwater, Drainage and Flooding

Protecting the residents and properties of Holroyd, Council maintains and monitors risks associated with water drainage in the City. These continuous upgrades ensure the community are kept dry when extensive storm water is present. There are measures in place to reduce problems that can eventuate with flooding. Council provides residents with Drainage Essentials, Flood Advice and On-Site Storm Water Detention.

For further information on the environment contact Council on 9840 9840.

Frequently Asked Questions



To ensure the safety of residents in the community, any changes to your dwelling and/or Landscaping may require approval from Council. A Duty Planner will be able to assist you with the specific information. Approved landscape plans will outline what is allowed and what controls are in place.

For more details on your landscape requirements please phone 9840 9840.



For the convenience of residents, Cumberland Council operates a garden waste mulching service.
The service operates from Councils depot in Guildford and is accessed through the gates off Foray Street Guildford.

The community mulching service operates every Sunday during daylight savings (except public holidays) between 9am and 2pm at Council’s Depot, accessed via Foray Street, Guildford.

During non-daylight savings time (winter season) the service will be open on the first and third Sunday of each month (except Public Holidays) between 9am to 2pm.

Opening Times

  • 2 and 23 April 2017
  • 7 and 21 May 2017
  • 4 and 18 June 2017
  • 2 and 16 July 2017
  • 6 and 2o August 2017
  • 3 and 17 September 2017

Garden waste is limited to one box trailer load. Truckloads of garden waste will not be accepted.
You will need to bring proof of Cumberland residency, eg. your rates notice, as the service is for residential usage only and limited to ‘one box trailer load’. Commercial use is prohibited.

Items Not Accepted:

  • Items not accepted for mulching include:
  • Lawn clippings
  • Limbs greater than 300mm in diameter no longer than 2 metres
  • Oleanders
  • Palm fronds
  • Succulents or cactus plants
  • Vines
  • Plants with thorns
  • Weed material
  • Tree stumps
  • Roses
  • Bags of leaves
  • Any type of domestic waste

Council reserves the right to refuse any garden waste which it deems unsuitable for mulching.

Transporting Waste

When transporting garden waste ensure that your load is adequately covered, or you could face being fined.
Uncovered loads of waste can spill onto the road creating both safety hazards and pollution to the environment.
The Protection of the Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2005 requires waste transported by a vehicle to be covered during its transportation.
Ensure waste is transported safely and covered or risk a fine of $500.

For details on mulching, please contact Council’s Customer Service on 9840 9840.

Picture 008


Biodiversity is the basis for healthy and functioning ecosystems, and is an important part of our community.

The Holroyd Local Government Area (LGA) is dominated by Wianamatta Group sediments, rock and soil layers, on the flat to undulating Cumberland Plain.

Over 200 years ago, the distribution of the Cumberland Plain Woodlands covered approximately 122,00 hectares.

Today, there is only 8% of the original trees present.

Due to the expansion of urban development, the Cumberland Plain Woodland remnants in Holroyd are typically small and isolated pockets threatened by weed invasion, mowing and further clearing.

What Can I do to Help?

In our backyards, we can all do something to improve the biodiversity of Holroyd.

Here are some examples:

  • Plant local native species
  • Install a small pond to provide water and habitat for frogs
  • Install a nest box especially designed for native birds and possums
  • Provide rocks for shelter, shade and sun bathing opportunities for small animals
  • Use a native turf species
  • Adopt good garden practices such as worm farming or composting, mulching our gardens, and installing a rainwater tank and drink irrigation system

Growing local native plants helps to link green corridors for local wildlife such as birds, frogs and lizards, and local plants are better suited to the climate.

How Do I Become Actively Involved?

If you don’t have a backyard or you want to do more to help improve the biodiversity of Holroyd, you can speak to Council about becoming a bushcare volunteer.

It is a great way to care for our environment and give something back to the Holroyd community. You can help make a real difference as well as meet new people and have some fun.

For more information on how to get involved with biodiversity in Holroyd, please call Council on 9840 9840 to speak to our Environmental Health Unit.

Scenery (14)

Smoke Free Areas

The Tobacco Legislation Amendment Act 2012 was passed by the NSW Parliament on 15 August 2012.

The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 has been amended to ban smoking in the following outdoor places from 7 January 2013:

  • Within 10 metres of children’s play equipment in outdoor public places
  • Public swimming pools
  • Spectator areas at sports grounds or other recreational areas used for organised sporting events
  • Public transport stops and platforms; including ferry wharves and taxi ranks
  • Within 4 metres of a pedestrian access point to a public building  and
  • From 2015, in commercial outdoor dining areas

The new laws also enable Local Health Districts and Statutory Health Corporations to make by-laws prohibiting smoking on NSW Health grounds, such as hospitals, community health services and ambulance stations.

NSW Health is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Smoke-free Environment Act 2000. NSW Health Inspectors are authorised to enforce the new bans on smoking. At this stage Council has not introduced any policy that goes beyond the new State-wide laws.

For concerns or complaints relating to smoking in outdoor areas, please contact the NSW Health Complaints Department on 1800 043 159.

Relevant Documents


Bees and Swarms

If you have a bee swarm problem or have seen a swarm of bees then you can contact a local beekeeper to catch them. Beekeepers are found in most suburbs throughout Sydney. One way of finding a beekeeper is through the Amateur Beekeepers Association of NSW.

In some circumstances, bees form their hives on the sides of houses or anywhere where food is easily accessible. The hives can become overcrowded which causes the queen bee along with several thousand worker bees to leave the hive and find a new home. We normally refer to this as a bee swarm.

Bee swarms can pose as a threat to the safety of individuals, though it is important to remember that the chances of being stung by bees travelling in swarms are minimal if you do not aggravate or come into contact with the bees.

Information from the NSW Department of Primary Industries and the Amateur Beekeepers Association of NSW.