New Council Announced - Cumberland Council

Development Applications


What is a Development Application (DA)?

A Development Application (DA) is a written request for permission from Holroyd City Council to undertake Not Exempt or Complying developments in the Local Government Area (LGA).

man scratching head

Why do I need to lodge a DA?

By law, you need to lodge a DA to Council for developments that require consent under the Holroyd Local Environmental Plan 2013 and any other relevant environmental planning instrument, such as State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPS)

This will allow Council to assess whether a development:

    • Complies with the provisions of relevant environmental planning instruments and other planning policies and guidelines (eg. Development Control Plans);
    • Is permissible and will appropriately use the site according to its zoning;
    • Is environmentally appropriate and compatible with surrounds.

Couple using laptop

How do I lodge a DA?

Step 1: Confirm that your development requires you to lodge a DA.

Use the quick, simple and free Electronic Housing Code System (EHCS). The EHCS will advise you if your development is Exempt or Complying. 

  • If your development is Exempt, you can start works without engaging Council or a private building certifier. The EHCS will still provide a detailed report on any relevant development standards.
  • If your development is Complying, you need to employ Council or a private building certifier for a building certificate before starting works.

For more information on Council’s efficient and competitive building certification services, please visit Your Development > Building Guide.

  • If your development is Not Exempt or Complying, you need to submit a DA to Council and get Council’s approval before starting works, either yourself or with the help of an architect, builder or other development expert.

Step 2: Complete a DA form and supporting documents.

Please visit Your Development > Documents for our DA form and checklists for supporting documents. Please ensure you complete the Political Donations & Gifts Disclosure Statements.

Step 3: Consider a Pre-Lodgment Meeting.

Before submitting a DA, you can discuss your proposal with our development experts in person at Council’s Customer Service Centre. These enquiries are limited to 10 minutes, on weekdays, between 9am – 11am.

You should consider booking a pre-lodgment meeting for:

  • Routine proposals, including low scale residential developments, change of use commercial, retail and industrial, and other minor developments.
  • Major or more complex matters, including multi-unit residential, subdivision of five (5) or more lots, new industrial and commercial buildings, and mixed use developments.

To book a pre-lodgment meeting, please contact our Development Services team via 9840 9840.

Step 4: Consider employing our Building Services Team to assist you in completing your DA.

For more information, please visit Your Development > Building Guide.

Step 5: Submit your DA to Council with the appropriate fees.

Please visit Council’s Customer Service Centre.


What costs are involved with a DA?

The calculated fee is based on the estimated cost of work for the development.

For more information, please contact our Development Services Team via 9840 9840.

Construction Site Planning Meeting

How are DAs assessed and determined?

Upon receipt of a DA, our Development Services Team will commence a detailed assessment process that may include the following:

  • Public notification.
  • Perusal and assessment of plans and supporting documentation to determine:
    • The requirements of any local, regional or state planning, other planning regulation;
    • The impact of the proposed development on the natural and built environment, as well as the local community;
    • Whether the site is suitable for the proposed development;
    • Whether the proposed development is in the public interest.
  • Internal Council referrals for comments and/or conditions relating to landscaping, tree retention, stormwater, traffic and parking, environmental health including noise and pollution control, access, community services etc.
  • External Government Agency referrals for comments and/or conditions including Roads and Maritime Services, Sydney Trains, Environment and Heritage, Environmental Protection Authority etc.
  • Meetings with applicants, residents and other public representatives including mediation and dispute resolution.
  • Deferral of applications for additional information and/or address of deficiencies.
  • Reports to Council.
  • Preparation of conditions of approval and/or reasons for refusal.

Following the assessment, a DA will be determined by either one of the following decision making processes:

  • A senior member of our Development Services Team under Delegated Authority; or
  • Council at its Ordinary Meeting
  • A Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP);
  • The Holroyd Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel (HIHAP)

Useful Links

4 people sitting at a table in a meeting

What is a Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP)?

A Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP) is an independent body which provides merit-based decision making on development of regional significance. Holroyd forms part of the Sydney West Regional Panel.

The JRPP comprises of five members – three appointed by the Minister and two from Council. The State-appointed panel members for Holroyd’s panel are Mary-Lynne Taylor (Chair), Bruce McDonald and Paul Mitchell, with Stuart McDonald, Lindsay Fletcher, Bob McCotter, Bruce Clarke, Kara Krason and Jason Perica as alternates. The Council-appointed members are Allan Ezzy and John Perry, with Ken Morrisey and Greg Ritchie as alternates.

Regional panels determine the following types of regional development:

  • Development with a capital investment value (CIV) over $20m;
  • Development with a CIV over $5m which is:
    • Council related.
    • Lodged by or on behalf of the Crown (State of NSW).
    • Private infrastructure and community facilities.
    • Eco-tourist facilities.
  • Extractive industries, waste facilities and marinas that are designated development.
  • Certain coastal subdivisions.
  • Development with a CIV between $10m-$20m which are referred to the regional panel by the applicant after 120 days.
  • Modifications to regional development under Section 96 (2) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (the Act).
  • Crown development applications (with a CIV under $5m) referred to the regional panel by the applicant or local council after 70 days from lodgement as undetermined, including where recommended conditions are in dispute.

A full list of regional development classes are set out in Schedule 4A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

Useful Links


What is the Holroyd Hearing and Assessment Panel (HIHAP)?

Council has a delegated a panel to make final and independent determinations on certain DAs. Currently, the development types to be considered by the HIHAP are places of worship, tattoo parlours and brothels.

The Panel provides an opportunity for both applicants and community members to understand each other’s concerns and ideas regarding a DA. It increases the transparency ensuring applications are assessed in a fair, ethical and independent manner.

The HIHAP consists of four rotating members, which are drawn from a pool of technical experts in the fields of planning, traffic and acoustics; community representatives; and legal experts who will also perform the role of Chairperson.

The HIHAP meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month, depending on demand, and if you wish to speak at the meeting regarding a matter on the agenda, you will need to contact Council via 9840 9840 to register at least one day prior.

Adults (16)

Will the community be consulted on my DA?

The Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 provides an opportunity for the community to be consulted and to comment on proposed developments.

Public notification of a DA may be required for certain types of development as detailed in DCP 2013 Part E – Public Participation or triggered in terms specified by SEPPs.

Notification may include written notice to adjoining and opposite owners/occupiers, on site, in the local papers or on Council’s website.


How will I be notified of my DA's status?

If your application is approved and there are no outstanding matters, you will be sent a copy of the Development Consent including conditions and approved plans. You will be advised in writing if your application was not approved.


Can I track the status of my DA?

The Application Tracking System

You can track the status of your DA using our quick and easy Application Tracking System.

All you need is the:

  • DA or CDC number; or
  • Date range when the DA or CDC may have been lodged with Holroyd Council;
  • Property address;
  • Lot and DP number.

Application Tracking System Capabilities

For DAs, Application Tracking will show the:

  • Milestones or workflow with opening, closing dates and status of particular tasks;
  • Addresses of the properties that have been notified (not all DAs require notification).

For CDCs determined by Council, Application Tracking will show:

  • Similar information as above with the exception of notification details which is not applicable to CDCs.

For CDCs determined by a private certifier, Application Tracking will show the basic details and only when such information is provided to Council by a private certifier.

  • DA Enquiry
  • Currently Advertised DA’s
  • Determined DA’s in the last 7 days
  • Determined DA’s in the last 14 days
  • Determined DA’s in the last 31 days
  • Section 82A Review Applications
  • CDC Enquiry

Please note that the description of a DA or CDC lodged within last 5 days would be generic only, with limited information and the word ‘Draft’ at the end of the description. This indicates that the DA/CDC has not yet been reviewed by the internal review team and a full description will be provided soon.

Track Your Application

To use Application Tracking, please read the following terms and conditions and click ‘I Agree’ to be directed to the system.

Accessing Application Tracking confirms that you have agreed to the following terms and conditions:

The contents of Application Tracking are subject to copyright and are protected by laws of Australia and other countries through international treaties.

Holroyd Council grants you a non-exclusive licence to reproduce the contents of Application Tracking in your web browser (and in any cache file produced by your web browser) for the sole purpose of viewing the content. Holroyd Council reserves all other rights.

The information provided on Application Tracking is to assist customers in tracking the progress of an Application. It also represents key milestones in the assessment process but is not a detailed history. Persons wishing to confirm information in detail should contact Holroyd Council.

You agree that you will not (either yourself or through any third party):

  1. use any robot, spider, screen scraper, data aggregation tool or other automatic device or process (Automated Process) to process, monitor, copy or extract any web pages on Application Tracking, or any of the information, content or data contained within or accessible through Application Tracking, without the prior written permission of Holroyd Council;
  2. use any Automated Process to aggregate or combine information, content or data contained within or accessible through Application Tracking with information, content or data accessible via or sourced from any third party;
  3. use any information on or accessed through Application Tracking for any commercial purpose or otherwise (either directly or indirectly) for profit or gain;
  4. use any device, software (including but not limited to introducing a virus, a worm or other malicious code), process or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of Application Tracking or any transaction or process being conducted on or through it;
  5. take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of or bandwidth connecting to Application Tracking;
  6. reverse engineer, reverse assemble, decompile, or otherwise attempt to discover source code or other arithmetical formulae or processes in respect of the software underlying the infrastructure and processes associated with Application Tracking;
  7. copy, reproduce, alter, modify, create derivative works of, or publicly display, any part of or any content from Application Tracking without the prior written permission of Holroyd Council; or
  8. use Application Tracking for any other unlawful purpose or activity.

Although every effort is made to ensure the relevance, accuracy, currency and timeliness of content, Holroyd Council accepts no responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy, correctness or otherwise of any information on the pages published on Application Tracking.

To the extent permitted by law, any condition, warranty or guarantee which would otherwise be implied into these Terms and Conditions is hereby excluded. You may have rights under the Australian Consumer Law or other rights in relation to Application Tracking that cannot lawfully be excluded by Holroyd Council.

Otherwise, to the extent it is permitted by law to do so, Holroyd Council does not accept liability for any loss or damage (including consequential loss or damage), however caused (including through negligence), which you may directly or indirectly suffer in connection with your use of Application Tracking.

You are responsible for protecting your computer systems and Holroyd Council is not liable to you or anyone else if interference with or damage to your computer systems occurs in connection with your use of Application Tracking.

Further, Holroyd Council does not waive any defence which it is entitled to rely on under the Australian Consumer Law.

I Agree | I Disagree


Can I modify my development consent?

Council may consider an application under Section 96 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to have a current Development Consent amended or modified. In considering the application, Council must be satisfied that the proposed modification does not substantially change the approved development. The three types of modification include:

  • Section 96 (1) – To correct an error, misdescription or miscalculation
  • Section 96 (1a) – For minor modifications with low environmental/amenity impact
  • Section 96 (2) – For significant modifications
  • Section 96 (1a) and 96 (2) may also require public notification

An Application to Modify a Consent (Section 96) Form must be lodged with Council and submitted with the required supporting documentation. You will need to supply a minimum of four (4) sets and six (6) CDs, however, Council may request for additional plans.